Purpose is Hope in Action

This Friday blog was created to connect those of us who are in recovery from addiction. A second purpose of this blog is to bring hope to those who desire to join us in recovery.

Being in recovery from substances is analogous to mountain climbing.  It is almost impossible to achieve my goal if I am alone in the wilderness.  If I attempt to climb the mountain, success will more likely come with the support of others who are experienced in the endeavor.  I require partnered strength with those above me and those below me. It is important that I draw both encouragement and expert advice from my team. These things are also true of recovery.

If I am alone on the mountain slope, no one will know that I am planting my foot over the drop.   No one will see that I am dangerously near the edge. No one will hear me call for help.

Though fragile, together we are wiser. We take even greater care.  We fear both falling and taking others to the bottom with us.  The way doesn’t trip us up when there are several others believing in faith.


Faltering steps, even if dependent, can make it to the top.  When we know we are weak alone, it is more likely that we will draw the needed strength to make the summit.


Image result for picture of a mountain