Powerful Memories

 Memories come back for a reason. I used to dismiss them if they were sad or traumatic, but they would keep returning. For me it seems that reoccurring memories are usually tied to a belief that I hold to that is either false, fearful, or unresolved.   The feeling I get as I remember the incident sheds light on what I have come to believe because of the experience. I have processed a number of traumatic memories over the past several years. I find that I am gaining freedom from irrational fears, trauma, and shame.

I recently re-experienced a childhood memory that was causing me to have false expectations about my life today.

The memory was an explosion of a gas camping lantern. This explosion traumatized me as a 10-year-old child when I was camping with my family. I have expected gas powered equipment to explode ever since that occurrence. I have believed that I won’t be safe. More importantly, I haven’t trusted those near me to operate certain kinds of equipment. I have even believed that God won’t keep me safe. As I felt the fearful memory, I prayed that God would enable me to see it now in a clear light. And He did. I don’t  know how He did, but He did. There was no voice or vision or even a feeling. But something changed. All I know is I no longer feel fearful of gas or fire. Of course, I have a healthy respect for safety, but I no longer regularly expect that I won’t be safe. I no longer believe that God or those I love won’t protect me from danger.

As I write this blog, it now seems silly to me that I felt that way all these years. I’m so blessed that God is ever present and always working in my life. 

 I have been rescued from alcoholism since January 7th, 2006. The miracle of God's grace and restoration continues to prove itself ~ Kerry