Self-Condemnation

I was stuck!
Though I haven’t been an active alcoholic for 11 years, I’ve continued many of the thought processes of a drinker.  It has taken hard work to crawl out of the pit of self-condemnation. Because I brought humiliation and shame on myself with drunken behaviors, my recovery has been littered with memories. I would beat myself up and rehearse my shame over and over again.
 Yeah, I was angry and yelled…put a hole in the wall that time 13 years ago.  You can still kind of see it. Yeah, I really did drink so much that the whole town knew about it.  If I hadn’t done that ….Yeah, I really am resentful at my friend. I forgive her BUT she made me feel so bad when she said...  I really did ruin Father’s day that year.
I focused on the behavior and my lack of control. Then I would try to erase the pictures in my loud head.  I have learned finally to go back, and be grateful that I am not that person.  Sometimes I list the positive changes in attitude and thought that I notice. God even joins in and helps me with this.  I can also be thankful it’s over.  I’ve made a pact with me.  Don’t allow any thoughts to "toddler" into self-condemnation. I’m growing up. Thank God.