Reprogramming Resentments

Sobriety involves re-learning how to think.  Resentments have not allowed me to have accurate perceptions. Resentment keeps me centered on me and my hurts.  I recognize that feelings put me in escape mode.  Alcohol was where I chose to go to when I wanted to dump the feelings.  I used to think that I only drank because I loved the buzz.  Then I decided that I drank because I was an alcoholic.  Though that is true, I have noticed that those dangerous thought patterns of anger and unresolved bitterness were what truly kept me drinking. People lovingly tried to explain this to me, but I didn’t listen.  I didn’t want to believe that I was that immature.  Harboring grudges is what first graders do.
What is the cure for resentment? Gratitude. It is the opposite of resentment.  It allows me to see that I may have played a part in a hurtful situation. What is my part?  To whom do I owe an amend? Can I learn to forgive? This is where God has helped me. It involves discipline, which I have little of. But God reminds me of what is accurate; Is that true that you are not valued? Was that unfair or just a simple mistake?  Why do you feel that way? You can turn this around if you show care and concern for them… Do you see that they were uncomfortable and embarrassed?..… 
Now I can see from God’s eyes of gratitude; I appreciate that person. Her motive was to help. She has benefited me greatly and I was not receptive. I will let her know that.

Wow! When I listen I start to gain some freedom.