Entitlement


 When I was drinking, I believed I was entitled to my self-centered desires. I had unique problems.  I was a unique problem. I even enjoyed creating drama.  At other times, I didn’t even realize that I was affecting others by my freakish control issues.
 I hate to admit that I can still slink back into entitlement after 11 years of recovery.  The other day a grocery store had run out of a sale item that I really wanted.  I opened my mouth to ask the cashier if there were rainchecks.   I found myself rapidly firing angry words at her.  It’s Monday! How can you be out on the beginning day of the sale?   Now I have to waste time going to other stores to find these spices!
As I drove home, I felt the guilt and remorse of my lack of control.  I couldn’t believe that I had hurt an innocent individual because I was slightly inconvenienced. I had behaved as if I were entitled to have everything go my way with no thought of others. 
Thankfully, I have the cashier’s name on my receipt.  I will find her and apologize. In addition, I will make amends by setting a goal to go out of my way to be empathetic and kind to cahiers from now on.  However I can’t take back those accusatory words that I spoke to the innocent young woman.
God help me
I humbly ask you, God, to remove my shortcomings of entitlement and angry responses.    (Step 7, AA)