Anger Has Options


                                                          


  
When I was drinking alcoholically, I got used to living in anger.  Anger mixed with drunkenness is a dangerous and unhealthy place. Using untamed anger as a response to frustration and disagreement drove me to seek vengeance and to pile up offenses. I reaped the consequence of an evil conscience.  I justified my wrongdoings.  Selfishness ran the show. Little thought was given to the feelings of others.  In sobriety, I’ve had to relearn what to do with emotions.  Trained response consists of gathering information, acquiring empathy, learning to compromise, and releasing unforgiveness.  If I’m not ready to forgive, I can still turn it over to God. Praying, taking slow breaths, and speaking affirmations can actually be helpful.  Giving up the right to be right is sometimes necessary.  I cannot rationalize using unbridled anger to prove my own rightness. If I am rude and uncaring, then I’m in the wrong no matter what. It is possible to own my feelings and choose a peaceful course of action.  It is even possible for anger to be expressed with care, concern, and love. In order to gain freedom, I find myself returning to elementary school social studies concepts.Yes, but they work. These things have been life-giving.                                                                                                                                                                    Do unto others
                                                                                                         as you would have them
                                                                                                    do unto you.
Mountains, Sunset, Clouds, Sun Sunset, Sky, Sun