Works mentality

 Sometimes the constant vigilance of working the 12 steps can lead me to believe that I am earning my own way.  I call this the works mentality.  If I am not careful, I begin to think that I am doing all the work myself.  I forget that God earned the way for me. His grace changes me.  I don’t change me.  I don’t stay sober.  He gives me that desire.  Though I am obedient to do my prescribed maintenance of reading, prayer, and meditation, that is where the work ends.  I must then trust God to apply those spiritual truths to my will and to the circumstances of my life.   He brings the freedom daily.  He changes my will daily.  He helps me accept my situation and myself daily.  He earned my peace for me.  I don’t want to give it away by ignoring His help.

 Gardening Tools, Old, Used, Worn