The Prodigal

The biblical story of The Prodigal Son helps me understand the character of God. He longs for His wayward children:
In The Prodigal Son, there is a man with two sons. The younger son asked for his inheritance early and took off for another country to live the party lifestyle.  He is called the prodigal son. Prodigal means wasteful, which is comparable in my mind to living intoxicated. This son lost everything except his life while living a reckless, irresponsible, pleasure seeking lifestyle.  He found someone who allowed him to live on his land while feeding pigs. The story goes on to say that this son even lived in the pig pasture rather than in a house.  He became so hungry that he desired to eat the bean pods that were discarded by the pigs.  No one gave him anything.  He received no kindness or free hand outs. This man’s lifestyle brought him homelessness, starvation, and utter loneliness. Then the son remembered his Father’s household. Even the servants at home had an over-abundance of life’s necessities. He decided to go home and own up to his situation.  He would be willing to live as a hired man. After all, that would be the just thing since he had spent all his inheritance and brought shame to the family.  He considered himself disowned. As the son was getting close to home, his Father saw him and recognized him from far away. The father had been waiting and watching. He was filled with love for his son. He ran to him and embraced him. The son immediately confessed his sin to his father.  He was remorseful toward both God and his Father. His intent was to make restitution.  He said that he was no longer worthy to be called a son and that he would serve as a hired man. The father was not in agreement that his son should earn his way back.  Instead, the father began to rejoice and celebrate because his son, who had been lost, was now found. The father continued to hold a party for the son who had been spiritually dead, but now was again alive. The prodigal son never, ever, was considered an outcast of the family. Though he suffered consequences while he was away, he was not punished or humiliated when he returned. He did not lose his place or even his honor. His father only rejoiced.
This analogy is life-altering for those of us who relate. It is heart-changing. True mercy does that.
There is no one that God won’t welcome back if we are sincerely repentant. 
God saw me coming from far off just as the father in the story. He had been waiting and hoping.  He had even been planning for my return. He could have intervened and stopped me at the beginning of my wayward decline but my loving Father let me make the choice. He knew that I recognized his safety and care. What I was not prepared for was the mercy and acceptance. Just as the Prodigal son was given a robe and signet ring, I was welcomed without reservation. I did not have to prove myself or wait for a time of probation. There was no “I told you so.” Or “If you would’ve listened this would not have happened”. There was complete and unabandoned love for me. He didn’t want to talk about the horrible actions or behaviors.  God only wanted to talk about His joy and relief.  God wanted me to know I was His.  I hadn’t left his family as I had thought. I had left home but I still belonged to Him.  I didn’t have to beg to get back in.   He came after me and called my name during my worst and hopeless night when I couldn’t make myself want to get well. His grace brought my heart back to Him
.