The Pasture

I saw a field of green grass and a robed shepherd. There were hundreds of sheep. Some were grazing. Some ewes were playing and jumping. Many were moving over to the furthest corners of the field to seek shade. As I looked across the grassy pasture, I noticed a gateway with an arch that read, Enemy’s Field. A few sheep were standing facing that gate, as if in contemplation.  I heard the Shepherd call for them to come closer to him. It struck me that there was a group of sheep who surrounded the master Shepherd.  They looked to be almost in competition for His attention. Some were jumping up to grab His hand.  He picked up these little sheep and held each one close, gently whispering words of love to each. “Why do some sheep stay so close”? I asked.  The answer came to me quickly. The sheep that are surrounding the shepherd are those who once strayed through the arch. They were lost but then found again by the Good Shepherd.  They were sought out by Him and rescued from the enemy’s territory. These redeemed sheep never wish to leave His side again.  The memories of being away from Him are too hurtful. It is these sheep who are constantly drawn to receive His love. It is these rescued sheep who have no desire for the other places in the field. It is these who want only His care.
Sheep, Lamb, Animal, Farm, Rural