A New Perspective


Realizing that God accepts me unconditionally has helped me turn from the obsession of what others think.  All of the things I did when I was drunk, including the very action of being drunk itself, is nonexistent as far as He is concerned.  Who am I to say that is not true?  When I remember my drinking years, I sometimes still feel ashamed and guilty. When God looks at those years, he no longer sees the condemning actions.  He sees a new person. His desire is that I heal from the wounds that kept me drinking. His desire is for me to allow Him to wipe away the sadness and the hurt. His desire is that I experience joy instead of sorrows.
Knowing how he sees me has helped me change my view of myself. I am not condemned. I am accepted. I am not guilty. I am free. He paid for my debt and my punishment.  My prison sentence and condemnation are cancelled.  God wants me to join in with joy and fully receive the total payment that He made. When I live as though I am still guilty, I am behaving as though He did nothing.  It is as though I am voiding His provision, and instead choosing to remain burdened with my own past of shame.   I cheapen what Jesus did on the cross when I behave as if His suffering is not enough to pay for my years of alcoholism. There are no limits to His forgiveness. Forgiveness is for yesterday, today and the future.   His forgiveness is a continuous thing that goes on forever. Nothing is too big or too evil for God’s redemption.  He knew what I was going to do before I ever did it. That is the truth.  Will I believe and receive it?
He offers peace, joy, forgiveness, and unconditional love. Will I accept it or will I live like it means nothing?
I was ill.  I was not evil. I was emotionally absent.  I was not rebellious. I was wounded.  I was not ungrateful.   I was blinded by pain. I was not purposely deceitful. These are not excuses. These are merciful truths I never saw before.
God loves the broken. God loves the humiliated and the shamed. He turns it all around.