Addiction is Obsession

Understanding the meaning of addiction has helped me. My paraphrased definition from Webster is that addiction is “The devotion or surrender to something obsessively.“  The more we have surrendered and the longer we have obsessed, the harder it is to turn around.  We often in our culture believe that obsession is okay but addiction is not.  Alcoholism is in the past for me and I work to keep it there. But now I see the other areas where I have been in addiction; the first is sugar.  Sugar has been a bigger problem than I realized.  When I tried to stop, I went through anger and withdrawal.  It was somewhat like stopping drinking. Now that I’m off sugar completely, I have noticed three things; I think clearly without confusion and memory loss.  I am losing weight and desiring healthier foods.  Inflammation in my joints is much lower.  It took three weeks but the cravings are finally gone. I have also been addicted to pleasing others. Worrying about what people think has been a constant obsession.  I can’t just quit eating or drinking this addiction of people pleasing though. I’ve been using affirmations to keep my mind on truth. I hang up encouraging phrases and scripture around my house. Here’s one; I believe in goodness and kindness. These are more important than social opinion.  Pride is a difficult thing to break.  Pride was the original sin. It is more important to please my personal convictions and core beliefs than it is to please other people. Prayer works. God works.
Variation, Gum, Sugar