The Switch


It is important in recovery to lay down our pride, self-centeredness and self-reliance.  These things motivated our addiction. We were always right.  We were always most important. We were always able to figure out how to function well when we drank.  
How do we get these narcissistic behaviors to leave?
It first began to happen through consequences. Those of us who have suffered humiliating consequences had the issue of rehabilitation forced upon us.  We, through pain and loss, have experienced having the things stolen from us that held promise, health, and true value. Our own worth was enmeshed in our reliance on our addiction.  When the addiction was taken from us, our self-worth was at zero. We awoke to fear. What would we do without our fake personality and our escape from reality?
This is where God came in and spoke His truth:
 “I don’t want fleshly goodness, human wisdom, surface abilities, and their related works.  I want to demonstrate a whole new life through my spirit and power. I can especially use you in your lowliness.  Stay there.  Turn to me. I will lift you up. I use failure and regret. I will bring humility that builds a foundation for reaching others. You haven’t lost anything of value. You’ve won it all.”

Background, Christmas