True Independence


True independence has to do with submission. No one, including me likes that word. Freedom though, comes when I give up some of my will. Freedom comes when I stop insisting on my way. Instead of forcefully stating my own rights, I forfeit them. Do I do this? No, but I’m wishing that I could because I’m realizing that maybe I don’t have a right to be always understood.  Maybe I don’t have a right to have every need met immediately.  Maybe I don’t have a right to be heard first, loudest, or every time.  Could I actually decide to let go of some of my rights?
I am learning that favor comes from God.  And rights are linked to favor.  When I exert my rights over others and over God, I don’t usually sense that favor anymore. When I voice my own priorities without thought to the effects of my words, I may be dismissing the needs of others. The plans and desires that God has chosen for me become weak and undecipherable. I can’t hear clearly anymore. When I choose to stay offended and resentful because of a disagreement, then I may be missing an opportunity to achieve peace. I miss the opportunity to grow in humility.
Giving is important. Submission is a form of giving. From that, I end up receiving.  By letting others be first, I learn empathy.  By letting their ideas be important, we may both gain insight. By allowing them to be heard, both of us may be validated as a human being.  Even if I am right and another person is clearly wrong, it is always best to listen and to respond slowly, to choose my words thoughtfully. I must ask myself, Is this a situation that merits being immediately heard or is this a time to wait?  Even when it is  time to stand up for what is true and good,  it is most important to demonstrate kindness.  What do I hope to gain? My own rightness? In others words, whatever I do, do it in a loving manner. That may have eternal gain about which I know little .
The alcoholic me was and still is selfish, even though sober.  The recovering me is free to think of others. I must learn to wait and pray. By that I will get the direction that I need. “Good Orderly Direction” comes with God’s peace and favor.  It also comes with joy and liberty.
Submission is about checking my motives and yielding my impulsive emotions. Submission includes showing honor, kindness, and respect to people for the good of all people.

Eagle Fly Bird Symbol American Flying Pred