Trusting


Trusting does not come naturally to many of us. Too many let downs or too many experiences of feeling ignored have left us feeling insecure. Dismissed is the right word. It best describes that feeling of belittlement.  You’re unimportant. That is what the head voice likes to say. You’re insignificant. That is why you are last to be answered, last to be listened to, and last to get the undivided attention.
If we have experienced these things, we just don’t want to trust anyone. Trust is especially difficult if we are fragile - as in recovering from years of escape through drugs or alcohol. We have not only become used to being dismissed but we have been downright misunderstood, purposefully left out, criticized, talked about, and gently but condescendingly put down.  Even those who love us are waiting for us to screw up because they know that we will. We might not ever drink again, but we will surely frustrate or disappoint them because that’s what we do. We may revert to anger and impatience and behave as we used to. Then we refuse to trust because we’ve got repeated conflict in our face again. We thought that was over.
I decided to give trusting God a try. If I start with Him, maybe I can learn to be vulnerable and real.  Maybe He will prove to be someone I can count on. Does He leave me?  Never.  Does he answer me? Always, though sometimes in a funny way.  Is He kind? He is crazily kind. I just have to turn off the head voice and listen to Him. Contrary to many opinions, He is NOT judgmental, but He loves me in an honest way, faults and all.
God actually prepares me for real life.  His love prepares me for life that is far from perfect, and is at times full of downward spirals.  Knowing that I am loved unconditionally actually prepares me for the times of NOT being loved. Unconditional love prepares me for manipulation, anger, or being let down. I can let those things ride along, and trust for the best because I know who believes in me.
God does.  I think I will trust Him and ask Him to tell me how and when to trust others.
Trust, Conversation, Co-Operation