Trying is Not Over Rated


Oh well, I tried is something I have said most of my life. I don’t know when or where I started to use that phrase but it always was said with resignation that meant I give up. What I did was not enough. I was not at the level of acceptance. It was fail and never pass. I am starting to learn that trying is both simple and good. It is the expectation of independence that is bad. The expectation that I can do it all without input or help is the problem. The expectation of perfection is also wrong. God does want me to try though.  He is not going to do the work for me, but He will do it through me.  If I do nothing, God is limited. If I do something, He is limitless.
What started these thoughts is that the summer months flew by and yesterday I said, Oh well, I tried. I meant that I didn’t live up to any of the ideas of what I thought I would do this summer. I had pictured myself being a wonderful blessing and doing amazing fun and unique things with grandkids, family, and friends.  The expectation was perfection and independence.  Then I realized that the things I did were blessed by God, if I had included Him at all. The times I asked for his help and opinion, I had fun and so did those I was with. I felt the spark of wow, this is cool. If I forgot to include God in my plans, or did it my way, I didn’t notice the blessing and goodness in the events. And it’s not about the feelings either. Often I look back later and see God’s hand when I could not see or feel it at the moment. Maybe playing Kick the Can was meaningful even though all the other plans for the day got messed up.  It was good because God was there and He was included. He made me care and He made me notice. God notices everything and helps me see what is important. What is important seems to change when God is included.
Addictive thinking taught me to move fast, do big, and expect a lot. Sobriety teaches wait, look, listen, see, hear. So now maybe I will not say Oh well, I tried but Oh well, it turned out better than I thought. Eternal things often  become apparent later.
In Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.  Ps. 139: 16


Assassin Bug Nymph, Nymph, Insect