Fear


It’s hard not to be fearful. It seems like I spend large parts of my day dispelling fear. I tell myself the fears are silly and unfounded. I tell myself they fears are from years ago and have no validity what so ever.  I am no longer the insecure, childish, drunk person I once was, so stop fearing! The fact is, I still fear what others think. That is hard to admit. Fearful thoughts of being  perceived as strange or immature or unwise still nag at me even though I have proven them false many times through my actions and choices. I am finding that if I follow the voice of God, I can actually accept being weird for His purposes.  My own purposes are what prove to be fickle, but when God gives direction, there is faith that brings confident completion. When God shows me to speak up or to do a good deed or to take a stand, then the courage that is necessary appears. So the difference is about belonging to God and not being just my own. Assurance and confidence come from following God and not my own will. When I feel fear, that usually means I am on the self-centered track and I can gauge the amount of self-centeredness by the amount of fear. They are directly proportional.  Hmmm.  I need to think and pray on this. Being drunk was a selfish action. I became habitually self-centered and fearful. It sure takes a long time to find out how normal people live, but I am grateful that I was pushed into learning this truth. If it weren’t for my recovery from alcoholism, would I be willing to turn my heart to God and His care??   I guess that even fear proves to be a useful tool, because with God’s help it points me toward my healing and growth.  God uses everything in my life for his good.
Peacock, Bird, Zoo, Nature, Animal