Stand Your Ground


Do you feel misunderstood in your recovery?  Do you wonder if people see you as less than? Are you ashamed that you went so far away from God?  Did you think you knew Him before you struggled with your addiction?  I did. I thought I was righteous and decent. I thought I was pretty good. I did know God. But still I went far into crazy drunkenness.  Why did I get so carried away in alcoholism if I knew God?  How could I sin so much if I was truly saved? These are hard questions to overcome. But I have overcome them because God has been my greatest advocate. He believes in me.  I have my purpose in Him. I speak for His redemption. He bought me when I was at my worse.  My purpose is to stand in this grace.  I am relieved of shame.  I am excused for the very shame I brought His name.  I am not accountable to man for my past. I don’t pretend my past is gone. Rather, it just does not matter. What matters is what God did; disgrace turns to honor in His eyes. My purpose is to believe that and speak that.  I set my heart on Him and His great rescue of my life.
 Another way I can proclaim this grace is to encourage others with the very courage I received.  I have the chance to reach out with the hand that was reached for.  We must stick together. We could fail otherwise.  We all have the ability to go back to our addiction. No. Never, we say. But we will be tempted. And alone we might not withstand the temptation. Together we walk in our purpose of restoration and deliverance. We cling to God and we cling to each other.  We set our hearts on Him and His great payment for our freedom. We have a story of redemption. We must tell it. We must proclaim it.
Hand, United, Together, People, Unity