Decision Making


      Decision making was a horrendous task when I was actively drinking. I couldn’t even gather the necessary information to make a plan of action.  It was more than being under the influence and having a foggy brain.  It was that my motives were skewed. My motives were driven by selfish ambitions and greed.  More, more… me, me. Who cares what he thinks. I want….I need…
       But even in sobriety I suffer in making sound decisions. Is that God’s voice or my own? A good friend recently told me that when I am feeling tempted to do something then it is most likely not God who is speaking.  I have been trying to use her counsel when I have a choice or decision ahead of me. The other day I felt a drawing to give someone a hug.  I didn’t do it because there were others present I didn’t know and I didn’t want to draw attention to myself. As I thought about it later I realized that the hug was a true motive of love and not impulsive selfish energy.  I regretted that I hadn’t recognized the desire to give a hug as being spiritually motivated. I let fear win.
     Another decision I had to make recently was when I was told about someone who needed help. I was feeling pressed to go and pitch in. I began to condemn myself for not running right over to help. I tried praying to gain more confidence.  I realized then that I was feeling tempted by my own desire to help and to be known as GOOD.  I wanted to skip weighing all the outcomes. I finally realized it might not be best to go help this time because I would be butting in to a volatile family situation where I might cause further problems.  This choice did not feel like it would end well. I believe I finally made the best decision for all involved.
      Whew! I am making this very complicated. These things should be simple right?  Well, in recovery we learn to cope with parts of life that once were on drunken auto pilot; whatever is easy and nicewhatever works and brings a quick fix.. whatever they all do is what I’ll do…whatever doesn’t feel fearful.
      The bottom line is that afterwards, I usually know whether or not I made the right decision.  If I make a practice of evaluating what I did and what I learned, next time I will have insight and wisdom. I will eventually learn what to do without all the drama and temptation to conform.
Head, Woman, Person, People, Face