God Talk


Step 11 in addiction recovery is about improving our conscious contact with God and asking Him for help in carrying this out.  I realize that I truly do need God’s help in communicating with God.  If I try to talk with God without His help, I usually fail. That is because He knows me already.  He formed me and He knows what I’m thinking before I think it. Only He can explain Himself to me in a way that lets me know He gets me. He knows that sometimes I am low on faith and I need to hear His voice. I might feel lonely and He comforts me with a song.  When I lack strength, God sends help in the form of a friend.  If I question his decision, God doesn’t pull away or get His feelings hurt.  He explains Himself.  Sometimes I just listen instead of talk. Sometimes I try too hard to be good and he says, Stop it. I’ll help if you let me. Other times I put myself down and He says, I’m proud of you.  I say “I’m afraid.” He says, Fear not. You are mine. Other times He listens and I do all the talking.  When I’m done, I feel heard.  Quiet is okay with me because it’s okay with Him. I’ve learned not to try and manipulate God into being nice to me.  He just is nice. That’s who He is. Even when I’ve been disappointing to God through selfishness or anger, He doesn’t judge or even correct me.  He just loves. For me, communication with God has been learned by letting Him show me who He is. He already knows me. He even helps me understand me.