Our Story


I recently found myself telling my story of sobriety to people I just met.  Why did I do this?  I was surprised to hear myself talking about what happened to me. Was I self -centered and narcissistic?  Then I realized that grace has become such a part of me that there is no other way to help people understand who I am.  The thing that happened to me is big and it is life changing and it wasn’t done through my own efforts. Sobriety is the thing about me that stands out as a life accomplishment and yet it is not my own accomplishment.  I only maintain and communicate the miracle that has happened.  Even that is not done by my own efforts. My deliverance from alcohol is a declaration of independence. It is a flag of surrender and a flag of freedom.  It is a billboard and it is a commercial for truth and hope. Here is why it is important to tell others my story or finding sobriety; repeating the miracle breeds more faith and assurance that it is not me, but God who does this great work. It is important that I see it as an ongoing miracle.  It is daily vital truth that I am weak and He is strong. It is an anchor of hope for the future, and a lighthouse to guide the way to safety.  As we former drunks tell our story, we ourselves gain more insight about how miraculous it is to achieve and maintain recovery.  We must pass that on.  There was a time that it was impossible to be without alcohol, and now we miraculously and sometimes effortlessly go through our days without remembering the amazing transformation.  It certainly helps others who are still struggling to hear our stories of success, and to know that God lifts people out of the dump and restores life.  I cannot take the credit for what He did, but passing on the miracle is my charge.