Faith has Feet


Faith is an important part of recovery from substance abuse.  It takes faith to listen while praying.  It takes faith to agree that I need to change. It takes faith to admit the screw ups. Recently I noticed that faith is even more than that.  Faith includes believing. If I truly believe, then I become motivated. Believing means I become willing to say I will. I will think better of myself. I will believe I can feel differently. I don’t have to sit by and feel resentful. I can be willing to ask why. I can be willing to listen to wise advice. My choices can be to talk about unresolved issues and to dig down to the bottom of the barrel for uncomfortable memories. I can choose to do things I don’t want to do, such as ask for help. I can choose to take responsibility for hurts I cause others and for my lack of sensitivity. I can choose to cast aside selfish ambition and to take interest in others. Choosing is willingness in action. As I move forward, I find myself believing that it is possible for me to change. My feelings do not have to hold me captive.  I can believe for transformation. I can choose to do something about my icky feelings toward myself and others. I may have to give up my right to be right this time. I may even have to change my expectations and desires. If I don’t choose belief and faith, I may settle for defeat and a return to drinking – even if not actual drinking- a return to those remorseful or self-pitying behaviors of negativity and unbelief.
My act of faith is the willingness to trust that God knows best and that He will enable me to make purposeful choices. Then it’s up to me to do them, whether I want to or not.
Sky, Clouds, Clouds Form, Cumulus Clouds