Anniversary of Sobriety


This week I celebrated my 13th anniversary of constant sobriety. What can I tell you about these past 13 years?  The obvious question is, “How did I do it?” I respond the same as many others in recovery; “I stayed sober through the help of God and the fellowship of AA and friends.” But there is more.  That word fellowship is key. Relationships are so important. God’s people change me. Praying with others brings truth and wisdom. How would I have known that I needed to think about my part in fearful childhood memories in order to stay sober? Those things weren’t my fault and yet it was important that I realize that fear holds me back if I don’t view it as a shortcoming. Fear should not be accepted as normal. If I hadn’t heard my sponsor talk about her own childhood, I might not have realized that I could grow past those fears.  If I hadn’t prayed with my good friend, I might not have realized that I have authority over my own thoughts. If I hadn’t heard another friend declare scripture with certainty, I might not have had the courage needed to face more fear. If I hadn’t listened to a song sent to me by one dear sister, I might not have stuck with my faith that day. If I hadn’t heard the amazing story of new sobriety that is happening to my friend’s son, I might have forgotten about the miracles that happen to those who desire God’s help. Finally, if I hadn’t been helping a drunk friend by listening to her on the phone, I might not have remembered the benefit of giving as an important part of fellowship.
 I could easily just isolate and be by myself. It’s really much easier. But God created us to share our pain and our triumphs.  If I hadn’t had these God-ordained people that were planted in my life, I would likely not have ever made it through even one year. And God sends exactly the right people for each year, and the right person for each day. I have learned to see the great benefit of God-given fellowship. He always provides. It’s up to me to take part.

People, Friends, Group, Hands, Signs