What Others Think


Here I go again - worrying about what others think of me.  It seems like this fight would be over by now. I’m 62 years old and I’ve had a colorful life story that’s now a book. All right. It’s time to accept the reality that I have told the whole world my thoughts, behaviors, and motives. The worst of them are out there. I’m hoping that my weakness will give strength to those who are actively drinking, and to those who are already recovering from addiction.  I’m still struggling with learning how to be transparent. Should I be sharing my weakness with the public?  I’ve been told that when I share my weakness, it brings healing to the listener just as it helps me when I hear others tell their story of trial and growth. As I listen, I hear that I’m not alone and I get ideas for how to deal with my own recovery. We all receive encouragement to keep going when others disclose their inner battles as well as victories.
I have decided to continue to tell my story, despite criticism, disagreement, judgement or discomfort because I know it helps, and because that’s what I am told to do by wise mentors, and by God.  I have decided I will tell myself the following:
When I am weak, I am strong.
Strength is made perfect in weakness.
I will stand and see the salvation of the Lord who is with me instead of shutting up.
It is time to fulfill my God-given purpose and ministry more than it’s time to live selfishly in fear.
Costly things are worthwhile endeavors.
I am rich in spiritual fruit because I am obedient to recovery.
I care more what God thinks about me than what the world thinks about me.
I am grateful for fellowship. It saves my life
It is none of my business what others think.
I don’t want "leanness of soul" again.
I don’t want to drink again.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescued-Christian-Couples-Story-Addiction/dp/1643007785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548385560&sr=8-1&keywords=samulak