Forgiveness


God forgives me for thousands of things every day. I often don’t notice the times I fail to love and to receive love.  I miss countless opportunities to bless others. After the fact, I realize that anger doesn’t always have to happen.  People don’t have to bother me.  I can stop judging. I don’t have to blame God for the bad things that happen.  I’m really NOT a victim; I’m His child. I often have self-pity when I could be noticing the needs of others. Those are only a few of the things God says He regularly forgives me for. Really? Wow.
If I treated friends like I treat God, they would dump me. Failure to notice kindness, generosity, or forgiveness is reason to let a friend go their own way. But God stays with me, even when I ignore Him. He draws me back.  It is not God’s fault when I’m feeling alone if I choose to live that way. It has been my own choice to pay attention to what is wrong – to judge myself and others  as “messed up” – instead of grabbing  hold of God’s perspective of looking for the good. He gives, especially when I’m undeserving. He forgives the most, when I deserve wrath.  God loves much. God forgives much. He doesn’t look the other way. He forgives and that is His full intent.

Thank you, God, for forgiving me. You forgave me one time for all, and yet, you continue to show your forgiveness every day. You, in your mercy tell me you are not angry. You are not impatient either. Help me to notice your gentle reminders of forgiveness. I hear you saying there is great power in acknowledging your merciful kindness. Allow me to experience the fullness of your payment for my debt, my clean slate that just keeps coming.  You say that those who are forgiven much love much.  I want that. You forgave me much, but I don’t yet love much because I often take for granted the magnitude of your great gift of forgiveness to me. Help me to be grateful, open, and receptive of this amazing gift. Forgive me for treating your mercy as a mundane, vaguely important perk. Let me be part of the demonstration of your great love. Let others see your kind and forgiving heart in me.

Light Bulb, Think, Idea, Solution