Wilderness


Have you ever felt like you were in a wilderness?  I felt like that in early sobriety. I couldn’t see my way out of the fog and shame. The road seemed like it was blocked to everyone but me. Others had gotten sober easily. It looked like it was effortless for them, but when I began to listen to their stories, I heard a pattern;  addiction puts us all in a self-centered place like that of a wilderness. While we drink or use, we don’t attempt our way out. We are content to be lost. Oh yes, we cry out to God in self-pity, but not in earnest sorrow. Finally we come close to death and we are dying of thirst. We grab onto God with our last ounce of hope. And say, “Help me! I’m ready now!”
That is when things shift. Though we are still in the wilderness, we can see others in the distance who also are finding their way out. We hear their cries. We see them trip and fall. We find the small pool of water and begin to drink.  We see that there is a way out though it is a long and difficult trip.  We find that we cannot trust our sight or our feelings. We have to trust the instinct of God’s Spirit in our gut.  We have to trust people that don’t even look trustworthy. We have to trust that weakness is good and we have to trust that what we think we need may be the opposite of what we really need. I remember saying, “They are flat our wrong to say that I need to go to work washing dishes when I have a master’s degree!”  It turns out they were right. I needed to prove my humility in a concrete way. I required hands-on humbling. My own ideas were almost always wrong because of my narcissistic beliefs and delusional rightness. I had to be trained to believe that correction and truth come in many forms. When I was in early sobriety, helping a drunk was an experience that proved life changing. The smell of the alcohol, vomit, and the 3-day body odor, combined with the slurred speech, and convulsive eyes went a long way towards my new reality. I didn’t want to go back after that day. I didn’t want to drink again after I helped that drunk.
The way out of the wilderness was not what I thought it would be. Life is still that way. When I think I have the answer, I’m learning to stop and think again.

Landscape, Mountains, Wilderness