Overcoming Rejection


Most of us in recovery from addictions feel rejected by others. We drank or drugged because we wanted to escape those feelings. The rejection made us want to drink and those same feelings kept us wanting to be high. Many of us struggle with relationships.  We don’t connect easily with others because we fear rejection.  We have to continually beat down those feelings and press in to establish relationships while fighting through the fear or rejection.
I know that the rejection is almost always false and that others do not reject me, but I have lived so many years believing it that I still have to overcome the thoughts and feelings. Being in recovery can make us feel “less than,” which can also increase those feelings of rejection.
Knowing that I am not alone in this is a big help. When I talk to others who are also still fighting this battle, it helps me understand that I must keep going forward. Things are getting better and they will continue to get better as I forge ahead, thanking God for his faithfulness in sending courage and wisdom my way. Most of these rejection-related thoughts and fears are habits that you and I can overcome.
I take my daily affirmation and I move forward, even if I still fear. I find that the fear leaves and I see the falsehood clearly as “A LIE”. The truth is that I am loved and I am lovable, (though not perfect J).
Here are my affirmations for today…
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   Phil. 4:13
His strength is made perfect in weakness. His grace is sufficient for me.   1 Cor. 12:9

Youth, Active, Jump, Happy, Sunrise