Boogie Boarding is a rush.


      You never know where you are going on a Boogie Board. Climbing on is a moment of surrender. Sometimes it’s a smooth, amazing ride. Other times I have to laugh at my disastrous landing. As I was remembering my recent time in the waves, I realized that riding the waves is comparable to going along with God. I can’t control the waves. There is no doubt that they are the boss. If I fall off, I simply get back on and start over. God always lets me start over. There is no judgement or I told you so. There is enjoyment on both sides. I believe God enjoys the waves right along with me.
     Contrarily, if I stand in the water and plant my feet in resistance, I will definitely fall over and get pushed around by the forces in the water, just as I do in this fallen world. Resisting God’s spiritual current is rough. If I fail to see the red warning flag, I could even get carried out by the dangerous rip tide. Should I fear this?  Healthy fear might mean that I pay attention to what is going on and I listen carefully. If I’m not supposed to go in the water on a given day, I will know.
        It is the unpredictability that is difficult in the waves, but would I want to know exactly where my Boogie Board is going to land? That would eliminate the exhilaration. I am trying to apply this analogy to my walk with God but am falling way short to carry it out. That is because surrender means I might give up some of my desires and my choices. Often times though, I realize God uses my desires to create situations that will be part of His plan.  I can look to God to gain wisdom and to know what to do in every wavy circumstance. My choices can be based on God’s view and not all on my own. He desires to direct me in choosing the perfect waves.  He sees from above. He knows where the good ones are.
      So… apparently I am a beginner at spiritual Boogie Boarding as well as the actual sport. That’s okay. I will get back on and ride.
Wave, Water, Surf, Ocean, Sea, Spray