UNforgiveness


     Unforgiveness is technically not a word. When I type it, I find a red line underneath. I just need to realize that is how the world today operates; “Don’t even consider that unforgiveness might be real”.  
          It doesn’t exist. It’s not important.   
          Just forget about it. It’s all her fault. 
          I’m blaming her for everything.                                                                        
          I’m right. He’s wrong. Hmmm.                                                                                                                                                                                                
      Unforgiveness is easily overlooked. When I hold a grudge, I am on the slippery slope. The slippery slope quickly slides down to resentment, bitterness, hate, followed by blame, accusation, and vengeance. The accuser of the brethren is Satan. Do I want to follow him?
 It is a downward spiral that must be stopped early. We alcoholics cannot afford any unforgiveness. We are told this constantly by those who mentor us in AA or NA. Our brains respond to unforgiveness by wanting to escape the discomfort and the imaginations that replay the incident that caused the unforgiveness. If I or a loved one is wronged, there may be just cause for blame and even accusation. However, once I start listing and rehearsing their many faults and hurtful actions, I am off the path of maintaining that daily walk of loving.  I am on the slippery slope of grudge-holding, which is unforgiveness. When I find myself thinking “But they…..”  I know I am making an excuse to harbor the unforgiveness.
      Can I do this myself? No. Not ever. It is only God who gives the ability to turn my feelings and will over to Him. He alone helps me see how to move forward in love and forgiveness, despite injustice. I do not have to trust the one who caused pain, and I do not have to spend extra time or energy with that one. God will help me to turn the situation over to Him, for He alone is Vindicator. These are hard things to remember and to put into action. It is far easier to develop an “I’m right and he is wrong” mentality. Though that may even be true, I become “the guilty one” when I choose to stay in unforgivness. I do not usually feel like forgiving when I am wronged. It is okay with God that I don’t feel loving. The important thing is that I am honest with God. The important thing is that I admit that I do not want to forgive and that I am feeling vengeful, hateful. God will give me increments of change. He will bring light and truth. He will cause me to let Him bring understanding, hope for justice, and forgiveness. Forgiveness. Now that’s a word.

Drink, Drinking Straw, Evening Sun