Simple


       Drinking was a way out – a way to put off looking truthfully at situations.  Even though I’ve been in recovery for close to 14 years, I sometimes still look the other way when something uncomfortable comes along. I avoid getting help or learning the truth about my fears. I choose instead to believe things will go away if I ignore them. 
        If I’m feeling afraid of rejection, then I will likely decide not to start a conversation or to reach out to someone in need; They might not like me. They might rather talk to someone else. They might rather be friends with someone who is fun, smart, cool... Those thoughts can go on all day if I don’t interrupt them with prayer.
       Fear of rejection leads to the wrong choice. Self-centered motives keep me from showing God’s love to others.  I’ve learned I must ask God for courage and then press in and take the steps to do what He says to do.
       Today there were 2 simple tasks that I felt impressed to do that would demonstrate love and care for people I know. Yet I found myself wanting to make excuses. I wanted to do something easy and mindless. Cleaning house seemed more appealing than to risk feeling rejected. Then I heard God saying to go and be His hands and feet - to offer encouragement. “Walk through the fear and do it”, He was saying. “Take courage. It is I”.
       So I did. I offered small acts of kindness. Others were blessed. I was also blessed by receiving the confirmation that I was a blessing to them. There is great reward for pressing in to do God’s work. 
           The choice is to avoid and loose or to be obedient and thrive. Forward or backward.  Death or life. New courage or continued fear. It becomes simple once I move.

Adult, Art, Bonsai, Hand, Plant