Avoidance


As an alcoholic, I still have to fight against the drive to numb myself. Numbing means that I find alternatives for feeling. Part of that numbing is to simply avoid things. I love my alarm snooze button. I put off anything uncomfortable. I’ll do it later. Another time. I just don’t want to think about that or feel that right now. I always knew that I did this, but lately I realized that I do this with important things, like prayer, or talking to my mother, or calling someone from AA.
Alcohol used to be the way out. I could do anything if I was drunk or even partly drunk. My inhibitions would leave, and I had what I believed was confidence, courage.
I’ve decided I’m going to try an AA solution; staying in the day is a favorite AA solution. Staying in the hour or staying in the minute is what we try and do when things are difficult. So I’ve decided to try and stay in the minute when I feel like avoiding something. I am asking for God’s help to keep my focus on the task that I’m tempted to avoid. It’s kind of like exercising. I have to finish the 30 minutes even though I want to stop early.  I will attempt to keep focused on the difficulty I’m avoiding – the resentment, the phone call, or the unpleasant conversation until I either deal with it or I come to a conclusion with a plan. This sounds a little silly right now as I talk it through, but I think this solution may help. All I need is a little discipline, creative planning, time, and prayer to do this.
I have to remember that recovery in sobriety is a slow work of progress and it’s also a process. Sometimes we feel like we are going backwards before we move forward again. That’s why we say, It takes what it takes.
Women'S Power, Business Woman