The Heart Test


        In recovery from addiction we say that gratitude is one of the cornerstones of our recovery. An attitude that looks for the good is imperative. In fact, it is hard to stay sober without gratitude. It is impossible to have quality life in sobriety without it.
        I noticed something else; gratitude reveals what is in my heart. As I attempt to be grateful, I sometimes find that I get stuck and cannot find gratefulness in a situation.  That is always a red flag. My ease of finding gratitude is a predictor of the quality of my relationship with God, and likely with others. Often when I struggle with ungratefulness, it is because I find unforgiveness in my heart. I held onto a hurt and made it into a contention. Even if I am truly wronged, it is up to me to communicate, to process the incident, to look for my part, to attempt to make peace, and to eventually forgive.  If I’m not willing to take that path to restoration, then I’m in trouble spiritually. I will sink into anger, bitterness, and further pain. I will become mean. Worse than that, I might want to escape into addiction. Worse yet, I will not be a light to others. Even if I am not in the wrong, I must take these steps to clear my heart of  resentment.
        I sometimes make a list of things for which I am grateful. This always reveals how I am doing. Gratitude is the great inner spotlight.

Gratitude keeps me on the right path. It brings life to my soul. It keeps my heart healthy. 
Heart, Love, Sunset, Shape, Sign