Trouble Loving?

 Many of us in recovery have trouble expressing emotions. We especially have difficulty with love. As a believer in Jesus and a recovering alcoholic, I often have expectations for myself to love others, but I don’t always have the ability. I realize the importance of loving others, so I work hard to do those things, but I am often void of selflessness. Why is this, I ask? Do I see God as punitive; love me or else?

I should be loving. I should help others. I should express God’s generosity.

What is the disconnect? It seems that others do a much better job of loving – even those who don’t know Christ can love others. Where are the directions? Where is the procedure? Did I miss something?

Jesus said “Abide in my love.”  And then He explains how. “In this the love of God was manifested, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.” So that is the way; think on God sending His son for me. But that seems very basic and over-played. It is not though. It is the ONE thing. It is of extreme importance. It is not mundane, nor is it overly simplistic. It is simple but not small. It is everything.

 God, Religion, Cross, Christianity