It Takes What it Takes

 One of the things that baffles me about my story of alcoholism is how slow I was to learn from others. If I would’ve listened to the advice of smart people, I could’ve escaped the avalanche of shame that dumped on me purely because of my own actions. If I had responded to the early warnings of alcoholism, humiliating consequences would have never happened.  I ignored those who said It takes what it takes. I saw that as a fun cliché that meant I could take risks until I wanted to stop drinking. That is what I did. I played with the powerful addiction until I was backed into the corner. There were no choices left except to try rehabilitation.

What If I had started listening way back in high school to those who said, Don’t hang around with him. He’s trouble. Or if in college I had listened to that one who said, You’ll flunk out if you party all night and sleep in late. What if I had listened to AA people who said, People haven’t stopped trusting you yet?  They will. What if I had listened to God who said, If you go to work drunk, there will be unalterable consequences. Finally, I heard the warning of a doctor who said, You will die if you don’t stop drinking. I was finally ready to stop, but couldn’t.

If my story were a math equation, it would read, humiliation + shame + death sentence = readiness to change. However, if I had followed sound advice, my equation could have read, mistakes + wisdom = early recovery.

I guess sobriety really does Take what it takes. I am alive to tell my story. I hope to help others find the grace to listen before they heap up the consequences and health issues as I did.

 I have been rescued from alcoholism since January 7th, 2006. The miracle of God's grace and restoration continues to prove itself ~ Kerry

      My book, Rescued, A Christian Couple’s Story of Addiction is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble