God's Motive

His Compassions fail not.

I used to believe that verse meant that all would go well for me. I know now that is not true, but I do know that in the midst of trials, I have comfort, strength, peace, even joy. I used to believe that verse meant that I would understand everything that happened in my life. I know now that I only see through the glass dimly here on earth, but faith prevails. I used to believe that verse meant that I could count on success. I know now that is not true either. My failures are food for growth. They are places where God brings gold out of fire.

Having said that, in my 64 years I have seen God do many things that prove His compassions fail not. I can count on being surprised. God does move on my behalf when life brings calamity. He alters circumstances, brings necessary consequences, creates solutions, signals for help, turns back evil, removes leaders, cancels events, changes the rules, destroys plans, speaks through authorities, and sends forth His angels. He brings good out of bad in unexpected ways.

I will always have God’s unconditional love – no matter what.  I’m so thankful God doesn’t behave like humans. He doesn’t turn off compassion when I misbehave.  He may change course, but compassion is always His motive.