Never Forgotten

      I almost forget about my 15th anniversary of sobriety!   I was reminded that I was celebrating another year by a friend from AA – a friend that I haven’t seen in 4 years. I received a congratulations card in the mail from an 86+ year-old man who used to entertain many with stories of his earlier days of getting sober. He sent me a commemorative coin marking my 15-year celebration. This friend is now 38 years sober!

      That is the best part of AA. We are a fellowship of encouragers, a team that perseveres together. At one time this elderly gentleman was a young man who needed help staying sober. Other members reached out to him. Now John is reaching out to others. Though he can’t get out much, he calls and writes others in the program. He instills a longevity of hope into us when we hear from him. John lets us know that the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous is always giving back to fellow members – always looking for those who need help or recognition. We will not be forgotten. Not ever. Our lives and our sobriety is too important.   

Thanks John.