Stay out of there!

Recovery from an addiction involves learning to monitor myself emotionally and to live proactively.

Sometimes I feel like I’m watching myself on surveillance video to see how I react to situations. If I get tense or irritable, then It’s time to intervene. Instead of taking medication, I go through the checklist; Am I hungry? Am I angry? If so, why? Am I lonely or tired?  If so, what do I need to do? I added another one to the AA checklist; Am I craving? I no longer crave alcohol, but I crave sugar or shopping. Those things tell me I need to unload some stuff.

Sadness or loss can creep up on me when I least expect it. Things that happened years ago can come to my mind and I have learned to ask myself what those things might mean. When I felt loss as a child, I never knew how to process that. I just buried it and kept the sadness inside. If it bubbled up, I pushed it back in. Now I am told that is not a good thing to do, but that was an unhealthy habit I built at a young age.

If I find myself feeling loss now, I have had to train my brain to process the pain or sadness. If I have a difficult memory, I have learned to talk it through with people and God. Many things that I have believed were true I have found to be only partially true, or even completely false. I believe my memory gets twisted and doesn’t always report things accurately. I am constantly on the lookout for inaccurate perspectives that I held onto which require sifting.  As they say in AA concerning our brain, Don’t ever go in there alone.

I have found that our enemy, the devil, often feeds us thoughts that we need to challenge and prove in the eyes of God.

Your adversary, the devil, prowls like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, firm in your faith. 1 Pet 5:8