The Great Escape

 As an EX-drinker, I am familiar with the idea of escape. My drinking career was motivated by a desire to get way from the uncomfortable - to unload the unloadable – but without success.  The more I tried to escape my feelings of inferiority fueled by past mistakes and horrifying memories, the more I dug a hole and put my head inside. The bottle was the hole and I sunk in quickly and completely.

In sobriety, I’ve learned that when I allow God to help me process past traumas safely and with help, I can become unafraid to look at past difficulties. This erases the need to escape. I no longer need to run to a bottle or a drug or to hiding.

I have learned to believe God’s viewpoint over my own. It’s that simple. When I look at things in the natural, I fail and I fear. When I look at things through eyes of faith - letting God lead me – only then can I see the truth.  I am not a failure and I am not inferior. I am His and He ALWAYS brings help. This is the healthy way out of addiction and mental illness. This is truly the great escape.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Phil. 4:13