Lasting Sobriety

 Now that I’ve been sober for a number of years, I understand things I wish I could’ve understood years ago. I tried to get sober and failed many times. Now I see that there were specific reasons why I couldn’t get free from alcohol. The first reason was in my face: I thought because I could get sober, that meant I wasn’t a true alcoholic. Wrong. The real test of whether we are alcoholic is not if we can get sober but can we STAY sober? If we keep returning to the alcohol, we are likely an alcoholic. Eventually, we may not be able to get any sobriety – even for a day.  This happens sooner than anyone can imagine. In fact, it happens without us even knowing it.

No other disease talks to you. The voice of Alcoholism says you’re okay when you’re not okay. This voice indicates spiritual bondage. It is a deception that masquerades as freedom. I feel so free when I’m drunk! The voice says that you’ve only had two drinks when you’ve had the entire bottle. Just keep a record of your drinks for three weeks and be honest! The captives of alcohol are in prison with no hope of release without the keys. The keys happen to be the very thing we are so against: getting help. I’ve never met an alcoholic who wanted help until they were desperate. Desperation is a gift because we need God’s help. It is unheard of for an advanced alcoholic to stay sober by their own effort.  God plays a big part of getting free of alcohol because it is a spiritual bondage.  God uses people as part of His plan of freedom. The disease knows that you need help and will say anything to keep you from getting help. Alcohol is an oppressive demon. Period. We cannot do it alone. If I had understood these things 20 years ago, I would’ve had less suffering, less humiliation, fewer consequences, and smaller losses.

God waited patiently until I was desperate.