May I Never Forget

 I recently heard some well-meaning friends talking about Alcoholics Anonymous. They thought it was disturbing that when we go to an AA meeting we say “I’m Kerry, and I’m an alcoholic.”  They criticize the idea that we label ourselves as an alcoholic. Isn’t that against what the bible teaches? Don’t we believe that we are free?  We should be expressing and proclaiming our deliverance instead of proclaiming bondage to alcohol.  Though I understand their concern, I do not think they understand how a mind works once it has been in deep addiction. If I begin to behave as though that I am free of alcoholism, I am likely to be tempted to drink again. If I begin to congratulate myself in this cunning and crafty spiritual arena, I could easily stumble into having a glass of wine. And then…  all bets are off as to what would happen.

For clarification, I DO believe that I am totally delivered of alcoholism. However, I need to remember where I came from. If, for one second, I think I could turn the clock back to before I was alcoholic, I am wrong. And since I have gone through near-death experiences in my drinking, I believe it is wise to be painstaking about my behaviors of recovery. I must at all cost hold onto my sobriety. When I stand before God, He is not going to ask me why I didn’t have faith enough to proclaim my freedom. He will say, Well done. You finished the race. You were faithful.

By the way, I am not going to be an alcoholic in heaven. I will say, “I’m Kerry, the overcomer”.