Sobriety is about more than not drinking.

 Step 2: Believed that God could and would relieve us from our addiction if we sought Him.

Whether it be alcohol, food, sex, work, gambling, or shopping, God can and will remove the addiction. How do I know? He did it for me. Alcohol has no hold on me today. I have been sober for 15 years, and continue to have freedom form that bondage.

Now I am realizing that God can bring this same freedom from emotional or psychological hang-ups that are detrimental to me and those I love. Pride is a major block to my spiritual growth. As I said in my last blog, I am held back by my selfish perspective.  I cater to my own desires and ignore the very thing that a friend or family members needs. I have looked right past a distraught grandchild and blindly focused on my own anger or rejection instead of the child’s difficulty. When I later realized what I had missed, I was overcome with remorse and shame.  What is the remedy for this self-centered focus? I asked God this question as I was thinking about step 2. The answer I received was to Fear God more than I fear people. He Alone can do this in my heart. In surrendering to God, it is God’s opinion that becomes most important.  The opinions of people are secondary. I am not God. People are not God. Family and friends are not God. Only He is God. Of course, I know this, but do I? How do I get myself to believe and live out this truth? God says, Keep going. ASK Him. He alone removes fear and gives true wisdom. He alone helps me have a sound mind.  He alone holds the keys to death, to life, to wellness, to miracles, to healing, to truth, to unbiased thinking, and to freedom. As I focus on BELIEVING that God is who He says He is, I am starting to see the light. Pride is not always my first motivation anymore. I will continue to press in.