Cynicism

 When I develop a cynical attitude, I know that my decisions and actions will be unkind and selfishly motivated.  Cynicism is from the evil seeds of unbelief and resentment. Impatience feeds it.

My cynical thoughts are hopelessly negative;

Well, it’s taking too long for the answer to come, so I might as well do what I want… at least there will be no delay… besides I am right; “nothing good is going to happen anyway”.

This was the deadly attitude that was prevalent in my drinking days;

            I deserve to drink. Nobody cares so I don’t care what they think.

Evil motives felt good because I rebelled and decided not to wait around for God. Good felt wrong because it seemed out of reach, impossible.

 Here is what I finally learned

God is only good and does only good. It is Satan who does evil.  The choice about whom to follow should be easy, but the desire and power to do right comes from God. He is always willing to give His grace. Only He can get me to detach from untrustworthy feelings and to step back into faith. I only need to ask.  The miracle comes.