The Choice

 A recent random picture;

I am offered two platters. The first platter has a piece of delicious chocolate cake on it. The second platter has dog poop on it. Which platter would I like to have?

I often choose the poop. When I follow fear, shame, rage, or judgement, I am making the choice for poop.  I am refusing the chocolate cake, the very thing that is good. Why do I decline the good? The good often seems too far removed.

But then, the reality of the choice of poop sinks in….

When I showed up at church drunk, I was choosing the poop. When I got angry with a store clerk, I was choosing the poop. When I was impatient with my husband or grandchild, I chose the poop. Poop is a quick-fix that never works.  In fact, it has gross consequences.  If I can keep this picture in my mind, I may be able to ward off the bad choice next time. I need to remember, to etch into my soul the terrible outcome of my past choice.

Choosing the chocolate cake has to be intentional. The perseverance of God comes to aid my choice.

Following God means I give up my own desires. But wait a second… following either one means I give up my own desires!! Who do I want to submit to?

The bottom line is this. There is no second choice for me. There is nowhere else to go. I don’t want the evil poop. I want the cake. Only the cake is good.