Reality

I’ve said many times that I was escaping reality when I was drinking alcoholically. Those same desires for escape continue to be issues for me now. I avoid pain. I bury stresses. I ignore confrontation. I look the other way when I need to get involved. The difference is that now that I am sober, I am seeking reality. Even when I choose not to move into difficulties, I know that I must face them.  In time God always gives me strength to deal with them. I can take baby steps. I can break down difficult tasks into do-able plans of action.

Recently I saw another truth about all of this; reality is only in God. When I want to know what’s really going on, God is the one who holds the answers. The keys to ultimate success are in His hands. Eternity trumps the quick fixes. I can count on His word to lead me into understanding. I can rely on His compassionate counsel. As soon as I depart from God’s way, and start saying things like, Well, he deserves that, or She is hopeless, I’m out of God’s reality.  Those are evil predictions. They are the responses of those who do not know God. People once said those things about me. They figured there was no way out for me. Here is the truth and the reality though…

“BUT GOD, who is rich is mercy, because of His great love with which He loved me, even when I was dead in trespasses, made me alive together with Christ, for by grace I am saved.”  Eph 2: 4-5

And He continues to do just that; He brings death to life every day. He can do it for anyone. 


I have been rescued from alcoholism since January 7th, 2006. The miracle of God's grace and restoration continues to prove itself ~ Kerry