My Shepherd II

 He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

I like my own way. Yet I often ask the lord to lead me because I know that is what is best. I believe He will take me in good places. But do I want my path to bring righteousness for His sake? Am I even aware of His name’s sake? Hopefully the things I do bring joy and glory to God and to His kingdom. Heaven rejoices when I follow His ways. When I am selfish I doubt that I bring honor to His name. His purpose should be my goal. However, this Psalm is saying that it is a fact that He leads me places that automatically take me where I meet His purpose. He takes me where I bring good to others. He takes me where it is His joy to use me or even to bless me. He even takes me to places that at first bring fear, but ultimately bring growth, and new courage. It isn’t something to worry about. Rather, I can rest in knowing that He will bring me where He wants. The outcome is His.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

A shadow of death can be many things. It can be death to an addiction, or death to my own selfishness. At those times, it is easy to fear I will not make it if I don’t get my way. I fear being pulled back into evil. I feared that I wouldn’t be able to get away from alcohol. Now I know that God is bigger. He walked with me through that valley and out the other side.

A shadow of death can be death of what I thought was going to happen. I thought my sister was going to live, but she died. Now she is in heaven, the best place ever. I was fearing her death, but it is good now. The only evil to fear was my own desires.

Death would only be fearful if I didn’t know the Lord. For me, I don’t have to fear because I know Him.

Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

Rods and staffs are things that guide me. Sheep require them, and I do too. Discipline is a rod. His mercy is a staff. Hard truth is a rod. Testimonies of His goodness are a staff.  The fear of the Lord is a rod. Worship is a staff. Consequences are a rod. His Word is a staff. Both are needed in this life.