As Children Do

 We probably all aim to accomplish meaningful goals and purposeful projects in our lifetime. It’s sometimes hard to figure out what are the best, most important things to do. The Bible says that I am His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand. How do I know which are the works that He prepared beforehand for me personally? I don’t believe God wants to keep it a secret. If I look at the life of Jesus, I see what He valued.

What did Jesus do? What are His priorities, His motivations?

HIS works silence the accuser and pierce through the darkness with truth. HIS works are grounded and rooted in mercy. HIS works are born of humility.

Wow! Can’t start there. I need to get more practical.

He took on the form of a bond-servant. Serving others can be tricky when they don’t appreciate it. If I remember to serve the Lord first, people second, I may be able to grow a servant’s heart.

 He made Himself of no reputation. That’s a tough one, but I will ask Him to help me do the same. I have cared way too much what others think. I have to confess my pride daily.

He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death! Now that’s humility!  Children are the biblical role model of humility. Why is that?  Because they are unassuming and honest? Innocent?  Or could it be that they NEED their Father and must RELY on a parent?  I pray to be dependent, desperate even, for God’s help. That’s a little scary.

It’s so good to know that He doesn’t expect me to do any work in my own strength.  He will provide all that is necessary. I am told He has perfect plans for each of us based on how and why He made us.

There is no work that I can do that will make me righteous. However, God’s righteousness can enable me to do good and effective work.