Acceptance

Difficult things are hard to accept. Sometimes there is a compromise that will win the acceptance. Usually not. The most important thing for me to accept is that I cannot drink like normal people. For me that means knowing that I will never drink again.  Those successful in recovery of addiction tell us to take life one day at a time.  I can only live one day at a time if I first accept the idea that being an alcoholic means it’s for life. No compromise. It took me five years to get to the point of acceptance. Now that I’ve been here for a while, I can accept other things like sadness, patience, loss, discipline, consequences, even natural death.
If I decide to take a drink, I lose freedom. Out of control and hurtful things happen. Things that cannot be fixed are probable. The idea that I could become a regular drinker or have just one can never be considered. That’s compromise. The response has to be solid; NO. I don’t drink.  I never will.  I have a deadly, chronic disease.  I am only as healthy as that confession.
Acceptance of alcoholism is not just a choice.  It is completely necessary. Only then will I be free to make real choices.  
                                                                 Ice Sculpture, Charlie Brown, Mail Box