Sound Mind


        What is a “Sound Mind”?  We are told in scripture that we can have that. Have I ever had a sound mind? Even as a child I had a skewed view of reality. I believed I was different and weird. I felt separate and dismissed.  As a parent, I was without the inborn skill of nurturing, floundering to be like other confident parents. As a spouse, I was often explosive and chaotic when the heat was on and I needed to make a decision or respond to difficulty. As an active drunk, I was all of these and worse.
        Now that I’ve been in recovery for a while, I know that facing my fears and failures head-on is what begins to bring sound mind. Asking God for His perspective and confidence brings courage to move forward.  In sobriety, I have finally been able to look fear in the eye and say, My God is Greater. I’m not afraid to be afraid so get out of here fear! So what if I fail? I’ll start over again. I’ll get help. I’ll apologize. I’ll learn what is needed. It will be okay if I’m wrong. These statements, I’m told, are characteristic of a sound mind. In fact, He uses my fear of failure to build further reliance on Him, which increases my inner strength.  When I admit inner anxiety, God brings grace -the desire and power to look past those negative things – and see God’s overcoming viewpoint.
        A sound mind is very possible and even probable when I submit to my Heavenly Father who cares deeply.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind.    2 Tim. 1:7

Fantasy, Landscape, Pond, Fog, Woman