Hope

 Jesus said that a mustard seed of faith turns into a large mustard tree. And If I have the faith of a mustard seed, I can tell a mountain to move.

I have noticed that the seed of faith grows out of hope. As I give my hope to God, it grows into the belief that what I hope for will happen.  17 years ago, it was impossible for me to stay sober. I tried for 6 years to be sober. I went to recovery. I prayed. I was prayed for. I went to rehab 6 times. I took medicine that made it unbearable for me drink. I was put on probation at work. I went to counseling. NOTHING worked. One day I took my tiniest seed of hope and prayed, God, If you can make me willing and able to be sober, please do. It will never happen on my own. I don’t even want to be sober. You are the only hope. After that prayer, things changed. God did a miracle, and I became sober. I tell that story because I believe that telling the stories of what God has done in the past are what gives us hope, and eventually faith.  Faith comes as we hear the testimonies of what God has already done.

Faith has to do with my hope in God’s character. He is good and only does good things. The devil is responsible for evil, NOT God. If I bring hope to God, I know He will either bring the faith to believe the outcome, or He will change my hope to match His all-knowing purpose for me.  I could’ve easily married the wrong person. I gave my hopes to God, and He changed everything. He brought along the person He knew was right for me.

Now may the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may about in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.   Romans 15:13